Pages

March 9, 2015

The Music Man (Feb 9, 2015)

This week was actually a super spiritual week. Like....spiritual warfare.

Mostly Sunday.

It all started when one of the guys who has a baptismal date set came to church and shot down the sister missionary teaching the Gospel Principle class. She was talking about how God has a body like us, but perfected. He interrupted and said "well you are obviously just assuming, because no one has seen God in person since Christ`s ascension into heaven." She didn`t know how to respond, and while I regretfully didn`t stand up to defend the truth, I declared in my head, "well then you need to see if Joseph Smith was a prophet." During that Sabbath Day, I was reminded of the importance of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. They are the key to this religion and the proof that this church is true. That is why there is more opposition against them than against any other book or any other man in the history of the world. My testimony was strengthened even more as I remembered the words of Joseph Smith`s first vision:

"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"

That helped me know that Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Then came the night.

I sang again, but this time in Piura Central, and this time not only did I sing the song "Creciste" but also, "Asombro me da" (in English: I Stand All Amazed). Wow wow wow. Never have I got to testify like that through music. Never have I been able to make so many people cry. Never have I felt the Spirit so strongly after a musical performance. As I sang of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I was reminded of the words of the Savior when he spoke of his suffering:

"Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—

Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men."

We had that same day seen the movie: The Saratov Approach, and I was reminded that the Lord suffered not because he was desirous to suffer, but rather because He loved his father. That is why He was willing to suffer. That is why I am willing to serve a mission, because I love my Heavenly Father...and my earthly father. I am eternally grateful for the loving sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

That helped me know that Jesus Christ lives and loves me.

I hope you can all come to feel that those two truths are certain. Joseph Smith was and still is a prophet of God, and Jesus Christ lives and loves us, as the head of his church: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

CuĂ­dense mucho,

Elder Dax Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment