Pages

January 12, 2015

Noche de Luz (December 15, 2014)

¨It´s Christmas time in the city¨ of Piura. And to celebrate, the sun is getting hotter, the people are getting drunker, and the Catholic church is now doing weekly parades through the streets. #welcome2piura.

However, the Mormons are also celebrating with lots and lots of music (as well as special guest appearences from Elder Uceda: President of the Area). This past week, the neighboring ward put on their Christmas Program, and this week it will be our turn to do so. We are preparing with a program called ¨Noche de Luz¨ a special word and song program with a live Nativity. I love the music as it is all full of Christmas cheer and a rich spirit of peace, especially the last song: Silent Night. As I sing that hymn I think of the words to the scripture:  
 
¨and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.¨
 
What joy to have been out in the fields that night of Christ´s birth and to see a prophecy fulfilled: the prophecy that a new star would shine forth and lead to the resting place of the Savior of the World. That same joy is the joy I hope we all can feel this Christmas season. 
 
And of course, I know that peace and joy is not the most common thing in the world to find nowadays. Therefore, the video I want to share is based on another favorite hymn: Abide With Me
 
I know how hard finding peace can be, and therefore I echo the inspired words: when life gets dark and dreary, dont forget to pray. I know there is a power inside of prayer that can change the night to day, that can soothe the troubled spirit, and can bring meaningful answers to a lost life. Peace can only be found through its Prince. Light can only be attained through its Maker. I hope we can all follow that new star through prayer and faith to the loving arms of He who gave His life for each one of us. I know Jesus Christ is the Living Son of God, and I know it is our purpose in life to follow Him. May we all do so and have the best Christmas ever.
 
Con amor,
Elder Dax Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment