Pages

December 3, 2013

The First Gift of Christmas! (no just an email) December 2, 2013

So I decided that since this is the Christmas season, and I am a representative of Jesus Christ and teach about him all day every day, I should give a short little message in my December emails about Christ. Merry Christmas!

For this week, I wanted to share the story of a prophecy of Christ´s birth, but here in the Americas. This prophecy came from a prophet, Samuel the Lamanite, who preached to a city of wicked folks that in just 5 years, the Son of God would be born into the world. He also prophesied that on that day, there would be a new star in the heavens, that the sky would be so bright so that it would appear that one day, one night, and the next day was as just one single day and also that there would be many wonders and signs given in the heavens. Yeah, a lot to take in. Long story short, some accepted this prophecy and believed this prophet and others rejected him. But, I like this one verse of scripture from Samuel and as always, I will share it in Spanish. In Helaman 14:8 of the Book of Mormon, Samuel the Lamanite declared "Y sucederá que el que creyere en el Hijo de Dios, tendrá vida eterna." 

Okay and now to the week:

So first off, I found I am really getting into the scriptures. My Spanish Book of Mormon and Bible are like coloring books, because they are now full of highlighted scriptures and notes, and I feel so ready for just about any teaching situation. Bring it on!

I also got to train this week. That’s right, I just finished my training 2 weeks ago, and this week I got to train 2 different, new elders. I felt quite impressive and important, and I am quite excited to be a trainer myself in the future. Oh, and this week I get to train an American. (He thinks he can talk with me in English, hahaha.) It will certainly be a fun week indeed!

We also went out with a member this week to visit some less active members of the church here in Pampa Grande. This member is struggling with the decision to go on a mission, and after just one lesson, he told us that he felt the Spirit stronger than he ever had before, and I think he is getting very close to being ready to also serve a mission. Maybe he will get called to serve in Connecticut! Cross your fingers!

This week was a lot of running around, with companions going away for training and what not, and so I spent a fair amount of time in the bus station here in Tumbes. One night, we ran into a group of college-aged young adults from the United States (why they chose to spend Thanksgiving weekend in Tumbes, Peru, I have no idea), and so the Gringo missionaries decided to try our hand at sharing the Gospel in English for once. Would you believe that we actually failed quite miserably? I found I can’t speak properly in English now and even in a lesson this week when I was asked to pray in English, I failed so miserably. 19 years of praying in English, and I have just lost the words. Strange things are happening down here in South America!

Last but not least, I would like to help everyone back home know that I am not just a preacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Oh no. I am also a certified home-destroyer. This past Saturday, our district went to help a sister in the ward knock down and rebuild a wall in her house. It was quite the experience to tackle and claw your way through a mud wall. But, there you have it. I am just a man of many trades; you never know what I will do next!

Well, that is it for this week. I hope you all enjoyed Thanksgiving and are getting ready for Christmas! May we all remember that it is "Christ"mas for a reason. May we all be more giving, more humble, more understanding, and more loving like el Señor Jesucristo es mi querida oración (is my dear prayer). Thank you all for reading!

Cuídense! 

- Elder Dax Rich

1 comment:

  1. Elder Rich you are an impressive missionary, even if you are struggling with the (English) language! : ) You are a great writer. I enjoy reading about your experiences.

    One of our Priests (o.k. he's technically not a Priest yet) was baptized this past Saturday. He recently moved to Riverton, Utah from Bolivia to be with his parents. What a powerful spirit that was there at his baptism. I loved hearing his experience of feeling so good coming up out of the water.

    I will come definitely have to come to your blog more often. I find it inspiring. Thanks for your example. May God continue to bless you in your efforts.

    ReplyDelete