Pages

December 3, 2013

My Last Week of Training (November 11, 2013)

So after what feels like a lifetime, I have finally come down to my final week of 12 weeks of training. The good news is that after 12 weeks, my Spanish has gone from being able to say my name and that I know God lives to giving talks in church, teaching hour long lessons, and finally being able to understand jokes from other missionaries. I also have learned a lot about being a missionary and what it means to stand as a witness of Christ in all times and in all places. Lots of learning, and now just a little less than 2 years more of learning to go! 

Also, I apologize again for no pictures. I purchased an adapter to bring over my photos, and the adapter is called "Daax" and so clearly I believed it could do the job with such a wonderful name...but I was proven wrong. Anyways, the next week for sure I will have lots of photos to share!

So, next week we are all going to Chiclayo, to see Elder Nelson give a talk to three different missions...and we are all leaving the day after transfers. So, I will get to meet my new companion for one day, do some work, and then take a 3 day break to go see Elder Nelson. Lots of time to get to know my new companion!!

Today we had P-Day at a little resort called "Lúkuma" which literally is a resort in the middle of nowhere. It is quite funny: you drive 30 minutes through sand, walk up a hill, and there is this little patch of grass with soccer fields, pools, and a restaurant. Very much… "out of nowhere". Anyways, it was just a fun and different way to spend the day, and I got to meet some "Snakes" (as we call women here who seek out men) who bought me and some other elders some sodas. One of them asked my name and when I said "Elder Rich" she looked at me like I had 2 heads. It was pretty funny indeed. Anyways, that pretty much is the extent of the adventures there, and perhaps the pictures next week will better illustrate this picture, but it was nice to have time with all of the missionaries in Tumbes. 

On a philosophical note, I had a lot of experiences not only this week, but in all of my time here to see that in truth the world is different, but people are the same. Divorce, children leaving home, and people struggling to balance careers and families is universal. We are all people, and while we have different cultures and beliefs, we have more or less the same problems and challenges. We also all have the same Father in Heaven, and that is why the Gospel is for the whole world. One God, one path to happiness, and one Savior, namely Jesus Christ. Certainly just one more reason to be grateful that I can serve God and his children here in Perú. 

Anyways, more to come next week! Hope all is well for everyone and know that my prayers are always with you all!!

Mucho amor,
Elder Dax Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment