Pages

December 3, 2013

Dia de las Gracias...well at least for this Gringo ( November 25, 2013)

So, no Thanksgiving here for me, but I certainly have a lot to be grateful for!

Let's start with my adventure to Chiclayo this past week. So, after 2 and a half days with my American/awesome/chévere companion we all went to Piura and I met my new companion, Elder Osegueda, who was Elder Tunney´s Papa (trainer). He is from Honduras and he is just about to hit his one year mark in the field, and he is pretty cool himself. We are already off to a good start, so I am excited for these next 6 weeks! While in Piura for a day, we got to stay at a hotel and enjoy Inca Kola along with some grilled chicken and french fries, and then (unfortunately) got to "enjoy" a night with the zancudos (mosquitoes) of Piura. There were so many that I literally am covered from head to toe in mosquito bites. It is quite ugly, but lucky none of you can see me, so I am grateful for that too!

I also ran into an old friend in Piura, and wow was I blown away! I was getting ready to get on the bus and I turned and saw a new Elder that looked familiar, so I awkwardly starred and walked up to him. After about 30 seconds it hit me...it is Joshua Moses!! He was my good friend from German class in BYU last year who I hung out with a lot and shared many wonderful Subway sándwiches with, and now here he is in my misión! It was one of the coolest moments of the month and I indeed did write about it in my journal, don't you all worry. 

Anyways, so we all got on the bus and went to Chiclayo (fun fact: it is 10 hours from Chiclayo to Tumbes. Lots of sleeping). In Chiclayo I ran into a lot of my old friends from the CCM, for example Elder Rich and Elder Vanderwood. It was fantástico and indeed a wonderful reunión.  But, the best part was seeing Elder Nelson, and then shaking his hand. He gave a great talk about the importance of family history work and temples, and that one of the most important messages we need to share with people is that they can be sealed to their families forever through the ordinances of the temple. I thought a lot about Nona and how grateful I am for the ordinances of the temple that make it so I can see Nona again and for all eternity, and I really felt like I needed to start teaching more about all of that, like Elder Nelson said! He then gave a good testimony in Spanish, without knowing any Spanish, and that was pretty spiritual/moving. It was one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Well, that was this week for me in a nutshell. I am excited to share more with everyone as time goes on, and I hope you are all finding lots of things to be grateful for! Family, God, love, safety, food, friends, Jobs, etc. We are all blessed as Children of God and we all have amazing destinies as such! My prayers are with you all and I look forward to sending more back home in the coming weeks!

- Elder Dax Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment